Derek Deal
Derek Deal is a Florida artist whose work can only be described as expressive, comical, and gross. Most of his art is driven by a variable sideshow of weird and energetic characters derived from years of fast music, old cartoons and late night 90's MTV. Derek is a founding member of The Black Axe, a design firm based out of central florida.
I think I have a serious affliction to the 80's. Maybe it is because of I was born during that generation, or maybe it's the "campy-ness" of the artwork that was produced during that time; but it is RAD.
Derek Deal is one of my favourite illustrators (amongst the numerous ones I have posted already), he has this super dirty style that I dig so much. When I am looking at his work, I notice how real it looks. It's almost as if he is inking straight onto the shirt itself. If there is anything that you should take away from his style and work is the human-ness he allows in it.
Human-ness? Yes, you read that right.What I am referring to is his lack of reliance on vector software, or line correction software in his illustrations. They are authentic. They are from his hands, and the line he produces reflects this.
Please check him out and maybe buy a shirt or two.
-Chad.
No comments:
Post a Comment